Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Guidance, Navigation & Controls-Senior Project Engineer (663002) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
GN&C; Senior Project Engineer
This leadership position is for a highly-experienced engineer or manager who can lead the Guidance, Navigation & Controls (GNC) team managing the cost, schedule and hardware content for spacecraft efforts across the company.
What You’ll Do:
- GNC cost account manager and project engineer - This position is 70% management and 30% technical.
- Work daily with the larger GNC team on procurements, and programmatics.
- Establish strong vendor relationships for sensors (star trackers, sun sensors, magnetometers, inertial reference units, GPS receivers) and actuators (reaction wheels, CMGs, torque rods).
- Prepare and manage hardware definition and interfaces. A strong hardware background is required.
- Extensive technical writing (proposal development, contractual elements, procedural definitions, specifications, interfaces, analysis support and description documents).
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret/SCI security clearance.
- Minimum of 8 years of direct experience in GNC Subsystem Design or Test.
- A solid understanding of all aspects of planning, scheduling, hardware specifications, and interface control.
- Previous earned value management experience.
- Proven expertise in subcontract management.
- Extensive experience with defining, developing and delivering space qualified hardware.
- Intellectual curiosity combined with a strong desire to learn.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Effective in multidisciplinary large team work environment with leadership responsibilities.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Guidance, Navigation & Controls-Senior Project Engineer (663002)
Job ID: 663002
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time