Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal Engineer-Space Vehicle Lead (665535) - Security Clearance Required in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Principal Engineer – Space Vehicle Lead
In this position, you will lead the space vehicle engineering team through development, test and delivery of highly capable space systems. The Space Vehicle Lead is responsible to ensure Ball delivers a system that is fully compliant to our customers’ technical performance specifications and meets their mission needs.
What You’ll Do:
- As the Space Vehicle Chief Engineer on a program, you are the primary technical representative to Ball’s program office, external customers, and partners which may include payload, launch and ground systems providers
- Develop and manage the space vehicle technical baseline
- Lead preparation and execution of major design and readiness reviews
- Develop cost and schedule baseline for system engineering activity and capable of performing responsibilities of the cost account manager (CAM) for system engineering
- Provide leadership to the system engineer staff generating engineering documents including specifications, interface control documents, and test plans.
- Work in a dynamic environment with multiple working groups, interfaces and all spacecraft subsystems. Responsible for providing direction and prioritization to the space vehicle team
- Lead and guide mission and space vehicle level trade studies and analysis – balancing technical performance, cost and risk
- Technical authority for risk assessment and anomaly resolution during both I&T; and on-orbit operations.
- Participate in writing proposals and creating and delivering presentations.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Develop and coach systems engineers on the space vehicle team.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proven success as a technical team lead with experience in all phases of execution of a space hardware program
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills, proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to effectively lead group discussions, ability to set priorities and delegate as required to meet all objectives.
- A top secret clearance is required
- Working knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) - CAM experience preferred
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Principal Engineer-Space Vehicle Lead (665535) - Security Clearance Required
Job ID: 665535
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time