Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Project Engineer II – Optical (665462) Security Clearance Required in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Project Engineer II – Optical – Security Clearance Required
What you'll do:
In this exciting role, you will have a great deal of responsibility and opportunity to grow within Ball’s technical and/or management career tracks. You will exercise a high degree of programmatic, technical and team leadership. You will lead integrated product teams (IPT’s) for opto-mechanical and electro-optical sensor development activities from conceptual design through final design, manufacturing, assembly and test. Specifically, this position is for a lead optical engineer that also manages medium sized, cross-disciplinary, teams of engineers and technicians in the development of high-acuity tactical and space-based electro-optical sensors.
Typical activities and responsibilities include:
- Working with other engineers in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary environment to develop and implement novel state-of-the-art and innovative optical systems for space-based applications designed for science, defense, intelligence, and commercial customers.
- Managing cost, schedule, resource management/staffing, and technical aspects for opto-mechanical assemblies and electro-optical sensors. Provide near-term and long-term direction to supporting technical staff and set priorities based on program needs.
- Managing a team that will:
- Establish subsystem requirements from higher level system requirements and flow requirements to other subsystems.
- Complete optical trade studies and develop detailed design solutions that can be manufactured within cost and schedule constraints while meeting performance requirements.
- Develop and maintain all optical budgets and track key optical performance metrics.
- Support performance modeling and performance predictions.
- Procure all optical components and assemblies that meet size, weight and performance requirements established via specifications prepared by the team.
- Develop and execute assembly, alignment and test plans for opto-mechanical assemblies and electro-optic sensor assemblies, including the development of metrology and calibration test equipment required to demonstrate performance requirements compliance.
- Representing optical engineering at material review boards and failure review boards for your program and serve as a subject matter expert for other programs across the company.
- Serving as the primary interface with internal and external customers communities.
- Identifying risk and opportunities, and then developing and executing risk and opportunity management plans.
- Responsible for Earned Value reporting and variance analysis of integrated product team performance where programmatic, cost, and schedule responsibilities are required.
- Supporting Advanced Program development by writing and briefing proposals, responding to RFIs, writing white papers, and participating in proposal reviews.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- BS, MS or PhD in optical engineering plus 12 or more years of experience in the development of optical assemblies and electro-optical sensors preferred.
- This position is for an engineer with team leadership experience and a strong background in tactical or space-based optical systems from initial concept development through delivery.
- Ability to manage the flow of Mission- and Sensor-level requirements to lower levels of assembly (i.e. requirements on optical sub-systems, optical design form, and/or optical components). Understanding of requirements verification methodologies and documentation.
- Lead optical architecture trade studies for optimal optical design forms considering a multitude of design for practices (i.e. Design for performance, volume, mass, manufacture, test, cost, schedule, environmental factors, etc.).
- Knowledge of optical manufacturing capabilities and their influence on design, performance, cost, and schedule.
- Ability to support multiple activities with the support of early career engineers to whom you will provide mentoring and career development direction through on-the-job training and formal training activities. Also provide support through peer review and failure review board processes.
- Develop and maintain key relationships with internal and external customer communities.
- Current Top Secret (TS/SCI) clearance with a current favorable single scope background investigation is required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Project Engineer II – Optical (665462) Security Clearance Required
Job ID: 665462
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time