Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Optical Engineer - Stray Light (665380) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Engineer Senior - Optical - Stray Light
What you'll do:
- In this exciting career opportunity, you will have a great deal of responsibility and opportunity. You will participate and contribute over the full life cycle of EO Sensor projects. Over time you will gain experience over the full life cycle of a project. You will also be expected to develop leadership skills as your experience builds
Typical activities and responsibilities include:
- Working in a cross disciplinary team environment with other optical, mechanical, and systems engineers to conceptualize, design, develop, and test electro optical systems with excellent stray light performance.
- Helping Ball advance their technology and develop innovative optical systems for space-based applications designed for science, defense, intelligence, and commercial applications.
- Participate internal research and development activities to advance Ball’s stray light capabilities.
- Support Advanced Program development by contributing to Proposals, RFIs, and White Papers.
- Preparing, participating and presenting material at design reviews.
- Perform stray light modeling and analysis at the Component, EO Sensor, and Mission levels to predict stray light performance and demonstrate requirements compliance.
- Develop and direct stray light test activities for model validation and system performance verification.
- Assist with the procurement and validation of conventional and state-of-the-art optical components including mirrors, lenses, filters, gratings, and stray light control features. Review and approve subcontractor stray light related requirements and testing activities.
- Leading or engaging with teams of engineers during Optical Sub-System and EO Sensor development, integration, alignment, and test.
- You will be expected to work hands-on with optical hardware as well as performing analytical work and technology development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you'll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A MS or PhD in Optical Engineering is preferred.
- Experience in stray light design, analysis and test of optical systems.
- Solid knowledge and proven experience in stray light design and analysis with FRED software.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Proficiency with MS Office tools.
- Experience with and interfacing with optical design and analysis tools such as CodeV, Zemax, or OSLO and experience with math-based tools such as MatLab.
- Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education.
- Current Top Secret (TS/SCI) clearance with a current favorable single scope background investigation is desired but not required. The ability and willingness to obtain such a clearance is required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Senior Optical Engineer - Stray Light (665380)
Job ID: 665380
Location: CO - Boulder