Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Systems Engineer-Spacecraft Propulsion (662780) - Security clearance required in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Senior Systems Engineer - Spacecraft Propulsion
This position is for a highly-experienced spacecraft propulsion system engineer who can lead a team through the design phase, perform analysis, support the production phase, support the test phase and lead the operation phase.
What You’ll Do:
- Participate in the development of innovative propulsion solutions and architectures
- Lead an engineering team through the development of new and/or refinement of existing propulsion systems including sizing, performance analyses, requirement allocation, design, verification, and flight operations
- Requirement flow-down, development, verification
- Propulsion system/component sizing, performance analyses and design tasks
- Subcontract technical management including development of specifications and SOWs
- Leadership of hardware design, and build
- Lead and conduct subsystem testing
- Cost account, resource and schedule management
- Technical writing (procedural, analysis support and description documents)
- Launch and mission operations support
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 8 or more years related experience in either systems engineering or propulsion.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current Top Secret/SCI security clearance required.
- 5 years of direct experience in spacecraft Propulsion Subsystem Engineering with a solid understanding of all aspects of design, analysis, production, test and operation.
- A strong technical foundation – people who flourish behave like owners
- Fluids knowledge preferred, strong CFD background desired.
- Capable of performing propulsion system sizing and performance analysis (such as propellant usage/budgets, flow/dP analyses, water hammer, thruster plume impingement)
- Effective in small team work environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- A desire to learn - our culture fosters intellectual curiosity.
- Demonstrated experience leading multi-disciplinary teams including meeting cost, schedule, and performance goals.
- Additional propulsion system type knowledge is highly desirable:
- Regulated Pressure Systems
- Cold gas
- Electric Propulsion
- Plume analysis
- Experience with MATLAB and other industry propulsion analytical tools is highly desirable.
- Customer Relationships: Extensive knowledge of missions and customers across core technologies areas. Knowledge/experience working with critical customer base, established relationships with key personnel within customer community.
- Superb presentation skills with experience to senior decision making and technical audiences.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer-Spacecraft Propulsion (662780) - Security clearance required
Job ID: 662780
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time