Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Staff Consultant - Electro-Optical Payload Chief Engineer (664732) - Security clearance required in Broomfield, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Staff Consultant – Electro-Optical Payload Chief Engineer
This leadership position is for an experienced system engineer who can lead an Electro-Optical Payload team from inception through development, test and delivery. The E-O Payload Chief Engineer will have responsibility for the overall E-O Payload design and architecture. Be the technical “go to” person for an E-O Payload.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and manage the E-O Payload technical baseline – develop solutions that meet our customer needs and requirements.
- Work with subsystem leads, providing direction and prioritization of tasks and reviewing their design analysis – detail oriented coach.
- Support preparation and presentation of major design and readiness reviews. Convey to our customers that our payload will do what they need.
- Responsible for generating engineering documents including specifications, environmental design requirements, support to subsystem procurement specifications and statements of work, and test plan development – own the technical baseline.
- Communicate E-O Payload status and risk posture to the program leadership team.
- Lead and guide E-O Payload level trades and analysis – balance technical performance, cost and risk.
- Execute to cost and schedule baseline for system engineering activity and capable of performing responsibilities of the cost account manager (CAM) for system engineering.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience (I&T;, Mission Operations, Fault Management, or Subsystem expertise).
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proven success as a technical team lead (six years required) with experience in all phases of execution of a space hardware program.
- Working knowledge of all E-O Payload subsystems sufficient to lead requirements allocation, design trades and performance assessment.
- A current TS security clearance is required.
- Architect/Design to cost, and new business experience is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to effectively lead group discussions, ability to set priorities and delegate as required to meet objectives.
- Experience in multidisciplinary team work environment with small team leadership responsibilities.
- A desire to learn - our culture fosters intellectual curiosity in a highly collaborative environment.
- Superb verbal, written and presentation skills are required.
- Working knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) is highly desirable.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Staff Consultant - Electro-Optical Payload Chief Engineer (664732) - Security clearance required
Job ID: 664732
Location: CO - Broomfield
Full/Part Time: Full-Time