City of Colorado Springs Engineer I in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Description / Position Overview
In this position, you will perform responsible engineering and project management duties and support transportation, bridge, stormwater, and construction management of all related capital projects, programs, and engineering studies.
The hiring salary for this position is between $4,939 and $5,929 per month.
Come explore the possibilities of a career with the City of Colorado Springs!
According to Travelers’ Choice 2021 Best of the Best, Colorado Springs is #7 of Emerging Destinations - World. Take a look and see why!
Essential Job Functions - the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Conduct construction and development plan reviews to ensure compliance with professional and technical guidelines related to City stormwater criteria
- Ensure project compliance with diverse and complex regulations, standards, and procedures for federal, state, and local government during the review and implementation of stormwater capital projects
- Interface with City and Colorado Springs Utilities departments on assigned projects
- Review and approve drainage reports, grading and erosion control plans, and construction plans for compliance with City codes, policies, standards, and City stormwater criteria
- Review other City projects and operations for compliance with stormwater and environmental regulatory programs; recommend and coordinate modifications to projects as needed
- Participate in drainage basin planning studies related to drainage improvements, such as storm sewers, channels, bridges, and detention ponds
- Prepare detailed comments for applicants and provide limited technical assistance with corrections
- Respond to questions and inquiries from the public, contractors, and developers
- Assist with field inspection and verification of existing stormwater infrastructure, including tracking and documentation
Provide engineering planning and design assistance on stormwater related capital projects, including hydrologic and hydraulic analysis, drainage channel analysis and design, storm sewer analysis and design, design of full spectrum detention and retention facilities, water quality control measure planning and design, site grading, and erosion control planning and design We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:*Knowledge of:*
Advanced civil engineering principles, practices, and methods
- Principles and practices of project management
- Pertinent federal, state, and local codes, laws, and regulations governing one or more of the following: EPA MS4 (Environmental Protection Agency Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System), City Stormwater Criteria, Pikes Peak Regional Floodplain Management, and Army Corps of Engineers
- Methods and techniques of engineering plan design, review, and approval
- Principles of business letter writing and technical report preparation
- Erosion control and construction control measures
- Construction management principles
- Concepts related to City’s stormwater criteria 4-step process, full spectrum detention and low-impact development techniques
Drainage basin planning Ability to:
Maintain an in-depth knowledge of City MS4 regulations and requirements
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of City stormwater criteria, rules, and regulations
- Maintain a working knowledge of legal, technical, and construction standards and procedures
- Ensure project compliance with diverse and complex regulations, standards, and procedures
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employee, engineers, developers, contractors, regulatory agencies, and the public Successful candidate will have
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in civil engineering or a related engineering field
- Possess, or obtain upon hire, and maintain a valid, non-probationary Colorado driver’s license not subject to restriction related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges Ideal candidates will also have
Civil engineering experience
Work is performed in an office and/or field environment with travel from site to site and possible exposure to inclement weather. This position requires the ability to stand and walk for extended periods, lift up to 30 pounds occasionally, and safely operate assigned vehicle.
NOTE: This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
The City does not sponsor applicants for work visas. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Apply to Join Our Team
- Please visit Colorado Springs Jobs and click on ‘Apply for a City Career’ > ‘City Career Postings – Apply Now’ button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
- Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
- Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position. The City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions can be found on the website.
You can view the status of your application here.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to coloradosprings.gov/jic
Equal Opportunity Employer**
Salary: $4,938.67 - $6,936.67 Monthly
Location: Public Works - City of Colorado Springs, CO
Job Type: Classified - Full Time
Division (Level 4): Public Works
Job Number: 13975
Closing: 4/12/2021 4:00 PM Mountain
Agency: City of Colorado Springs
Address: 30 South Nevada Avenue, Suite 301 Colorado Springs, Colorado, 80903
Phone: 719-385-5171 719-385-5171