Colorado State University Department Head-Mechanical Engineering in Fort Collins, Colorado
Posting Detail Information
Working Title Department Head-Mechanical Engineering
Position Location Fort Collins, CO
Posting Number 201800353F
Proposed Annual Salary Range Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Position Type Faculty
Work Hours/Week 40
Description of Work Unit
Tenure/Tenure Track? Yes
% Research 10
% Teaching 10
% Service 10
% Administration 70
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 01/27/2019
Number of Vacancies 1
Desired Start Date 07/01/2019
Position End Date
The Mechanical Engineering (ME) Department at CSU is recognized both nationally and internationally for excellence in education, research, and service and outreach programs, and is ranked in the top 60 of such programs in the USA. The Department Head of Mechanical Engineering will report to the Dean of the WSCOE and provide visionary leadership for 34 tenured and tenure-track faculty, 4 non-tenure track faculty, 9 staff, 1002 undergraduate students and 120 graduate students, of which 46 are at the Ph.D. level, 58 are at the M.S. level, and 16 are at the M.E. level. The faculty, research associates and students in the ME Department are extremely active in conducting cutting edge research in numerous areas of mechanical engineering and are supported by numerous federal agencies including NIH, NASA, DOE, CDC, NRC, EPA, DOL, and DHS. Research expenditures for the ME Department at CSU exceeded $7.17M for FY2018. Further information is available at the department website, http://www.engr.colostate.edu/me/index.shtml.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Required Job Qualifications
• Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field; • At least 5 years of administration and leadership experience; • Demonstrated record of excellence in research and teaching appropriate for appointment as a tenured full professor; • Demonstrated record of ability to generate external funding for research and educational initiatives; • Strong verbal and written communication skills; and • Demonstrated ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Demonstrated ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, submit a cover letter which addresses the minimum and preferred qualifications, a resume or curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, and a statement of research philosophy. In cover letter, please address leadership and vision for the department. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Search Contact Charles Shackelford | Charles.Shackelford@colostate.edu
Job Duty Category Administration
• Provide leadership in developing and implementing the strategic plan for the Department and facilitating achievement of the Department’s goals; • Lead and manage growth and development of the Departmental missions in research, education, service, and outreach; • Build and maintain an inclusive, collegial, and collaborative organization and culture within the department; • Facilitate and ensure mentorship and accountability for professional development and collegial interactions; • Promote excellence in all departmental endeavors; • Manage and administrate fiscal planning and expenditures; • Direct and evaluate the faculty and staff comprising the Department; • Oversee acquisition and maintenance of facilities and equipment • Facilitate relationships with academic, industrial, and governmental entities interacting with the Department; and • Serve as the primary advocate in enhancing the visibility and reputation/prestige of the Department.
Percentage Of Time 70
Job Duty Category Teaching
• Teach courses in mechanical engineering; and • Advise undergraduate and graduate students.
Percentage Of Time 10
Job Duty Category Research
• Lead and maintain an internationally-recognized, externally-funded research program; • Provide oversight, compliance, and completion of tasks on all funded awards; • Supervise research staff including graduate students who are working on research grants; • Mentor graduate students to successful completion of MS and PhD degrees; and • Present research results at national conferences and publish in high quality peer-reviewed journals.
Percentage Of Time 10
Job Duty Category Service and Outreach
• Participate in standing Department, College, and/or University standing and/or ad hoc committees; • Maintain membership in and provide service to professional society committees; • Review journal manuscripts and grant applications; and • Mentor junior faculty members.
Percentage Of Time 10
Minimum Requested 5
Maximum Requested 5
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Statement of Teaching Philosophy
Statement of Research Philosophy
Resume or CV