JBS USA Consumer Value Added R&D Product Development Manager in Greeley, Colorado
The primary responsibility of this role is the creation of new fresh pork and beef products that are packaged to be sold in Retail and Club Channels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develops new pork and beef products leveraging expertise in food chemistry, food ingredient functionality and experimental design.
· Translates consumer needs into product innovation and renovation .
· Independently completes research projects to design, develop and improve new and existing product portfolio.
· Provides product costs based on commodities, ingredients, and product formulations.
· Responsible for sourcing ingredients and leveraging vendor expertise in ingredient functionality.
· Creates product samples by working with various plant production equipment, such as grinders, injectors, massagers, dicers, slicers, or chillers, etc.
· Tests ideas on processing or packaging attributes that would improve product performance or desirability.
· Develop and maintain product specification , ingredient statements, allergen information and formulas for seasoning blends and non-meat ingredients; then incorporate respective information into the label design process as needed.
· Manages and oversees R&D technical functions such as sensory, shelf life testing, legal label claims , product/packaging improvements
· Participates in plant trials and works with new product start-ups - ensure products are made to spec.
· Works with production plant personnel on scale up of new products. Suggest initial order quantities for ingredients and packaging, obtain cost of materials
· Act as a technical resource to answer questions about current and new products, plant capabilities, labeling regulations.
· Present new products to customers ; Presentation often involves cooked preparation of multiple items or full meals
· Prepare product samples and ship to customers as requested.
· General awareness of USDA regulations , restricted/limited ingredients and approved processing procedures.
· Optimizes cost/quality and process improvements contributing to increased product quality and profitability for the business.
· Designs tests, interpret results and recommend next steps in product development
· Assists QA/QC in the analysis of product that generates customer complaints .
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
· Ability to work in accordance with safety and food safety policies
· Intermediate ability in Microsoft Office products, specifically Microsoft Excel
· Interpersonal and team skills for working with employees at all levels both internal and external
· Travel up to 40%
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
Education: BS or Master’s in Meat Science/Food Science or related.
Experience: 5-7 years in fresh pork or beef product development in a production or related facility
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office applications