Federal Highway Administration Civil Engineer - Highway Design in Lakewood, Colorado
Federal Highway Administration has Civil Engineer (Design) positions available in several Federal Lands Highway Divisions. Projects occur primarily on Federal Lands managed by other Federal agencies (e.g., National Park Service & U.S. Forest Service) & include multi-state areas.
This establishes an open continuous NTE 12 months, vacancy announcement for Civil Engineer (Design), we will review applications quarterly. *See “Evaluations” for more information.
Learn more about this agency
At the mid-level, duties include:
- Develops the design and monitors the budget and schedule for assigned projects and has responsibility for the project from initial scoping through construction support. Manages workload by setting and adjusting short-term priorities, as required, to meet changing project needs and information.
- Generates and evaluates geometric design alternatives and develops sound design concepts. Assesses the impact of standard exceptions/compromises to established engineering principles and practices and conceptualizes acceptable design exceptions and mitigation strategies, as necessary, to meet customer needs.
- Develops plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E;) packages that clearly define the work, are biddable, and emphasize context sensitivity, safety, and constructability. Identifies appropriate bid items, performs quantity computations for all facets of highway design, and develops summary tables for project plans and price estimates for all work items for assigned projects. Prepares appropriate design documentation, provides quality control reviews on PS&Es; prepared by other designers.
- Interprets, applies, and communicates the laws, regulations, policies and guidance related to highway design. Assists in the development of plans for accomplishing business objectives and implementing quality initiatives, including assisting in the formulation and establishment of policies, standards, guidelines, and priorities for team operations.
- Identifies, recommends, and/or uses appropriate technologies for gathering data during PS&E; development. Improves the quality of highway design work through the use of new technologies and process improvements. Collaborates with internal staff and outside agencies.
- Ensures financial accountability and management of funds for assigned projects. Reviews and updates project work steps, resources, and budget as required.
Projects involve critical engineering constraints, strong public interest, environmental or other constraints, and many specialty design items and/or critical time frames. The employee applies technical expertise in highway design to address context-sensitivity, sustainability, and livability issues, including safety, economics, environmental issues, and impacts to local landowners. At the senior level, mentors, trains, and assists in the distribution of project work tasks to other designers on the team and assists in quality control on design work products. As assigned, may be a Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) responsible for managing Architect-Engineer (A/E) Consultant task orders or reimbursable agreements.
The ideal candidate for this position is an engineer with experience developing, monitoring, and adhering to the design, budget, and schedule for roadway construction projects and providing technical assistance from initial scoping through construction support.
25% or less - Occasional travel is required.
- #### Job family (Series)
0810 Civil Engineering
- Architectural Engineers
- Civil Engineers
- Construction Engineers
- Engineers, Architectural
- Engineers, Civil
Conditions of Employment
- You must meet specialized experience to qualify.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
- Announcement also advertised Merit Promotion: FHWA.HFL-2018-0008.
- This position may be telework eligible.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD: This position involves travel. A government contractor-issued travel card will be issued and must be retained for official business only.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education*Requirementfor the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, *AND(3) meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
All applicants must meet one of the following requirements to qualify for consideration for an engineering position:
A. Successful completion of a degree in engineering that: (1) has at least one program accredited by ABET; or (2) that included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced that first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials; (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials; and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics; OR
B. Combination of education or training: college level education, training and/or technical experience that has furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering.
The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following: 1. Professional registration or licensure - current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), engineer in Training (EIT), or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE). 2. Written Test - Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination, or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. 3. Specified academic courses - Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences which included the courses as specified in Paragraph A above. 4. Related curriculum - Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. There should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering type experience. This must be clearly described in your resume.
For more specifics, please see the OPM qualifications standard for GS-800: All Professional Engineering Positions qualifications at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/files/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pdf
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
*To qualify for the GS-07 on Experience, *you must have at least one full year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to GS-05, it must include:
- Experience assisting design engineers performing simple projects or portions of projects, such as developing Plans Specifications, and Estimates (PS&E;) packages or performing quantity computations.
- Experience applying mathematical, physical science and engineering practices.
To qualify for the GS-07 on Education, you must have:
- One full academic year of graduate level education; OR bachelor’s degree with * Superior Academic Achievement http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=General-Policies as defined in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook; OR five academic years of pre-professional study. *Superior Academic Achievement.- In the upper one-third of graduating class; OR a GPA of 3.0 or higher out of 4.0, as recorded on official transcript, or based on courses completed during final 2 years of curriculum; OR a GPA of 3.5 or higher out of 4.0, based on average of required courses completed in major or required courses in major completed during the final 2 years of curriculum; OR Honor Society Membership.
You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience.
To qualify for the 09 on *Experience, *you must have at least one full year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to GS-07, it must include:
- Experience as a design engineer performing a variety of highway design activities such as, developing portions of Plans, Specifications, and Estimates (PS&E;) packages, identifying appropriate bid items, performing quantity computations, developing summary tables for project plans and price estimates, selecting and assembling special contract requirements (SCRs), or developing critical path diagrams for determination of construction contract time.**
To qualify for the GS-09 on Education, you must have:
- Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree OR
- Master's or equivalent graduate degree OR
- LL.B. or J.D., if related
You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience.
To qualify for the GS-11 on*Experience*, you must have at least one full year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to GS-09, it must include:
- Experience providing engineering design services, on a team, in the development of highway improvement projects to reconstruct or rehabilitate highways or local roads (e.g., developing Plans, Specifications, and Estimates (PS&E;) packages and layout drawings for highway designs); AND
- Experience using highway-design software programs, including Computer-Aided Design (CADD) software and engineer’s estimating software.
To qualify for the GS-11 on Education, you must have:
- Three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree OR
- Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR
- LL.M., if related
*You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience. *
To qualify for the GS-12 on Experience, you must have at least one full year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to GS-11, it must include:
- Experience providing engineering design services, construction support, and technical assistance in the development of highway improvement projects (e.g., developing Plans, Specifications & Estimates (PS&E;) packages and layout drawings for projects involving interstate, primary, urban, or Federal Lands’ roads and highways; reviewing contractor submittals; resolving construction issues; or addressing exceptions to design standards); AND
- Experience using highway-design software programs, including Computer-Aided Design (CADD) software and engineer’s estimating software.
You cannot qualify for the GS-12 on education alone, you must have experience and meet the education requirements.
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS (Please see the Qualifications section)
For additional information about applying to Federal positions, please click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=e4
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within six months of closing date of the announcement. Graduation transcript must be received before start date.
Other applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Displaced employees may be eligible for ICTAP or CTAP priority consideration. For more information, please review the OPM Employee's Guide to Career Transition.
EEO STATEMENT: The Department of Transportation (DOT) maintains a model federal work environment that is free of discrimination. DOT ensures equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, or protected activity.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE: PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/ application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination. Please ensure that your resume contains specific information such as position titles, beginning and ending dates of employment for each position, average number of hours worked per week, and if the position is/was in the Federal government, you should provide the position series and grade level.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. The answers you select in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. If upon review, it is determined that your described work history, competencies, and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, your application may be updated or you may not be referred to the selecting official. Please ensure that your work history provides enough details to support your answers. The Automated Staffing Office is ultimately responsible for determining your final rating.
* PLEASE NOTE: *This announcement establishes an open continuous (12 month) vacancy announcement for Civil Engineer (Design) GS-0810-7/9/11/12. Given our continuing need for top professionals in this field, we will review applications after 10/01/2018. The final review will be on the closing date. Following these dates, we will contact qualified applicants to schedule interviews. We will give equal consideration to all applications we receive. Duty locations will vary. The difference in salary is determined by the locality pay in each location. Salaries for all areas are available on the OPM website at:*https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2018/general-schedule/
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
*ALL Applicants must provide a resume that fully supports the required specialized experience and was created within USA Jobs Resume Builder and respond to the vacancy questions by the closing date of the vacancy. *
*The following is a list of documents that are only required based on the type of position and consideration for which you are applying. *
TRANSCRIPTS - Transcripts are REQUIRED if there is a stated education requirement for the series OR if you are substituting education for experience. The transcripts need not be official, but must show that you meet the stated education requirements, including specific major or class requirements.
- If you are applying to an engineering position and are qualifying based on possessing a current Professional Engineer (PE) license, or passing the Engineer in Training (EIT) exam, please provide a copy of PE license or written documented proof of passing the EIT.
- If you have previously held a government position in the same series as this position, you may be able to provide an SF-50 showing that you have already qualified and worked in the federal service in this series.
VETERANS: Your last DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, that shows the type of discharge and all dates of active duty is required to verify your eligibility. It need not be official.
- If you are applying to a vacancy opened to all US Citizens under category rating and wish to be considered as a preference eligible, you need to submit a copy of your DD214.
- If you are claiming preference eligibility as a disabled veteran, you must submit proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. An SF-15 is desired, but not required.
- If you are applying to a vacancy opened Status and you are requesting consideration under Veteran's Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) (https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shav/#veoa), you need to provide a copy of your last DD214, which verifies your military service dates, reason for separation, OR certification of separation that shows a discharge date within 120 days of the closing of this announcement, and eligibility for consideration under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act.
NON COMPETITIVE APPLICANTS: If requesting concurrent consideration for Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility, you must provide the appropriate SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS, such as PCS orders (military spouse) describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability (schedule A), etc. For more information, visit military spouse NC appointments or Persons with Disabilities NC appointments.
DISPLACED EMPLOYEES: If requesting consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency CTAP program (ICTAP), you must meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (meeting minimum requirements for position and scoring at least an 85 or falling in the Gold Category) and provide all of the following documents:
- your most recent performance appraisal,
- the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency, and
- your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade.
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position. Please review your application prior to final submission and ensure you have submitted all appropriate documents. Uploading documents to USAJobs does NOT ensure inclusion with your application to our system. You must verify that the documents are in the system with your application prior to final submission.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Real solutions to meet genuine challenges. Innovative ideas to take on growing realities. That's the Federal Highway Administration - Leaders in Paving the Way on the Road to Success
The Department of Transportation (DOT) is ranked #4 in the 2017 best places to work in the Federal Government!
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the "Apply Online" button on the job announcement posting.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov. If you are having difficulty applying online, please contact the DOT Automated Staffing Office via email us at*Transjobs@dot.gov*
Agency contact information
Automated Staffing Office
DOT, FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION Submit Application and Documents Online 1200 New Jersey Ave SE / HAHR - 50 Washington, District of Columbia 20590 United States
Learn more about this agency
You may check your application status by logging into USAJobs.com. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. The most highly qualified candidates in the top group will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you directly. Once the position is filled, we will notify all applicants of their final status.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512481700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/01/2018 to 09/30/2019
Pay scale & grade: GS 07 - 12
Salary: $46,609 to $106,012 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time