Lockheed Martin Systems Engineer - Mass Properties in Littleton, Colorado
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills, talents and experiences to design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to envision the impossible, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus—if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Do you have the passion to get humans back to the moon and eventually to Mars? NASA has developed a vision for exploration that includes the development of a Human Lander System and a Gateway Habitat in the next 5 years. The nation received a White House mandate to place humans back on the surface of the Moon by 2024. Lockheed Martin Space in onboard to be part of this historic event and is looking to build a core team of highly-motivated engineers excited to be working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. This is a rare opportunity for you to help NASA meet the challenges of the first step in achieving that "long-term presence at the Moon" and the stepping point for human missions to Mars.
At Lockheed Martin, we develop and build systems that really move. Some move into and through space, while others move rapidly through the atmosphere, over land or over water. Our customers need and expect high performance from these systems and mass properties affects that performance. We need Mass Properties team members to help make sure our customers get those systems that really move!
Our Mass Properties Engineers help ensure our spacecraft get payloads to the right orbit around our planet or around other objects in our solar system, help our missile systems intercept a threat and protect our troops, help deliver a payload with pinpoint accuracy, or help us develop smaller, lightweight directed energy weapons so they can be deployed on a variety of platforms.
As a Mass Properties Engineer on IHLS (Integrated Human Lander System) , you will:
• Ensure mass properties functions are carried out through junior or other senior mass properties engineers
• Maintain discipline and handle personnel issues of mass properties support team
• Provide technical direction to program management and customer to ensure programmatic performance
• Perform complex analysis and actual measurements
• Lead the weight control and weight efforts on programs
• Coach, mentor and train Mass Properties Engineers in complex analysis and verification
• Act as a technical consultant to programs and customers within the company
• Develop new and innovative mass properties tools and techniques in analysis, verification, and control
*** Please note this position is contingent upon program award expected 1/1/2020***
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin cultivates an inclusive work environment that inspires differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
• Technical experience with complex mass properties analysis
• Experience developing high accuracy mass, center of gravity, and inertial models
• Technical Leadership within the mass properties or related discipline
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Aerospace), Physics, or Mathematics
• Demonstrated experience leading the mass properties effort on multiple large programs, performing complex mass properties estimation for preliminary design concepts, and solving mass properties issues
• Develop new industry-wide mass properties engineering standards and control processes
• Demonstrated competency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point, solid modeling applications (IDEAS, Pro-E, or CREO), Mathcad and/or MATLAB, and an understanding of other software analysis tools
• Experience with the responsibility of supporting and being the primary point of contact for a program
• Experience as a key contributor or as a lead for weight control and reduction efforts
• Ability to identify and resolve technical concerns with respect to weight reduction implementation and write Mass Properties procedures, practices and/or specifications
• Strong written (preparing monthly or quarterly weight status reports) and oral communication (presenting mass properties summaries to management and customers)
• Experience with configuration assessment and prediction of mass properties based on preliminary design models as well as the evolving released design
• Experience working on integrated product team, interacting with other engineering disciplines, technicians, subcontractors, and customer
• Familiarity with manufacturing and assembly techniques & processes, developing test procedures, and performing data reduction
• Self-starter, able to multitask, strive for a positive customer experience
• Demonstrated behaviors of a systems thinker with the ability to select and apply appropriate systems thinking skills to solve problems and implement constructive change
• Missile or space segment design and test experience with one or more subsystems or disciplines outside of Systems Engineering
• Ability to lead multi-functional teams and lead multiple teams to communicate and coordinate work as one team with common goals
• Advanced degree in a related discipline
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.