Lockheed Martin Lead Electro-Optical Systems Engineer in Louisville, Colorado
Description: The Optical Payload Center of Excellence at Lockheed Martin Space is seeking an experienced Opto-mechanical Engineer with deep expertise in thermal analysis and thermal management (passive and active control) for optical payloads.
The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
Defending against modern day missile threats requires constant collaboration and innovation. That’s why we’re able to integrate systems from end to end so you can detect, control and engage the full spectrum of missile threats across every domain. It’s why we’re investing in disruptive technology like directed energy, space-based capabilities and solid state-radar. To create layers of defense that help keep us all safe.
Shooting a missile down with a missile was once a concept only dreamed up in science fiction novels. We’ve made it scientific fact!
So what does it take to spot an enemy missile launch, identify its intended target, calculate its exact trajectory, launch an interceptor and guide it to destroy the threat in mid-air? All in a matter of seconds? It’s not easy – but at Lockheed Martin, we help customers solve the world’s most complex challenges. Our culture supports employees to dream big, perform with perfection and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
You will play a leading role in design and development work on a variety of passive, active, and directed energy optical payloads, which present a diverse range of cooling and thermal management challenges. You should demonstrate strong mechanical engineering skills, highly relevant and related experience, and a keen interest in optical payloads.
Your responsibilities will include: establishing a thermal balance/budget for the payload and payload side of the payload/spacecraft interface via analyses of optical layouts, including structural, thermal, and optical design optimization, stray light heating estimation, solar/earthshine analyses, radiative analyses, heat transfer analyses, and a variety of design optimization calculations and estimates. You will be involved in the design, specification, and procurement support for heat pipes, phase-change material systems, conduction bars, radiators, heaters, and cryogenic systems, as well as test and ground support equipment. This position calls for a professional who will:
• Work under broad guidance from senior engineering and program leadership;
• Collaborate and contribute across the design team;
• Guide the work of junior and emerging engineers;
• Engage with prospective and selected suppliers;
• Deliver robust documents and briefings, and;
• Support customer reviews
You should have strong written and oral communication skills, and also strong quantitative skills with the ability to apply them to the formidable mechanical challenges of precision optical payload subsystems.
You would typically have a Bachelors degree and 14-20 years of professional experience, a Masters and 12 -18 years, or a PhD and 9-15 years.
* Positions are currently contingent upon funding expected in the 4th quarter of 2020.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
• Knowledge or experience of EO/IR systems and components
• Experience in the build, integration, and test of electro-optical hardware
• Experience in hardware development at multiple levels of technical maturity
• Knowledge or understanding of the systems engineering life cycle and processes.
• US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a clearance to the TS/SCI level
• Understanding of Military/DOD design methodology and standards.
• Functional and group leadership experience with multidisciplinary engineering teams.
• Demonstrated experience across all aspects of the program lifecycle, such as design, development and production
• Experience in developing high reliability space components or subsystems.
• Experience developing EO instruments/sensors for space or airborne environments
• EO/ systems engineering experience in optical sensor development, with hands-on experience in delivering hardware / products.
• Experience with tools such as LabVIEW, MATLAB or Mathematica, DOORS, Rhapsody, Cameo, STK and MSOFFICE products
• Ability to provide product development cost and schedule estimating which follows FAR guidelines
• Awareness of systems engineering analysis tools and techniques, and system modeling tools for active / passive optical payloads
• Design and fabrication of highly engineered (high TRL) systems
• Strong mentoring skills and experience.
• Active TS/SCI clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.