Lockheed Martin Research Scientist: LIDAR, LADAR, EO Remote Sensing in Louisville, Colorado
Description: Perform the research, analysis, design, development, and tests of new technologies, techniques, and systems for laser remote sensing systems and other electro-optical system and components for intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR), directed energy weapons (DEW), atmospheric sensing, navigation and proximity operations, target tracking and identification, spectroscopy, and other applications. Perform the research and development of advanced electro-optical technologies and techniques, including concept development, modeling and simulation, design, assembly, testing, and analysis. Perform technical writing for reports and proposals, prepare and deliver presentations, interact with team members and customers, and both lead and support technical development projects. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, internal and external customers, suppliers and other stakeholders. Perform other duties as necessary. The successful candidate will have strong analytic and communication skills and work well in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary environment.
Key Words: Lidar, Ladar, Laser Radar, Remote Sensing, Electro-Optics, Electro-Optical, Spectroscopy
Desired Skills: • Master's or Ph.D degree in science, math, engineering, or related discipline
• Experience in direct- and coherent-detection lidar sensing modes and applications, including GmAPD and Linear-Mode 3DI, DIAL, Digital Holography, Synthetic Aperture Imaging, etc.
• Experience or ability to oversee the development of passive and/or active Vis/SWIR/MWIR/LWIR imager technologies that includes Focal-Plane-Arrays (FPA), Read-Out-Integrated-Circuits (ROIC), Sensor-Chip-Assemblies (SCAs), sensor hybridization, Proximity Electronics w/ on board processing, Integrated Detector Dewar Cooler Assembly (IDDCA), and other pertinent performance/specifications, electrical, mechanical, and thermal sensor considerations.
• Experience or ability to oversee the development of wide-bandwidth transmitter and receiver imaging optics for active and/or passive applications and deployment in ground, air, and space payloads.
• Experience in performing fast-paced laboratory and field system demonstrations.
• Ability to develop novel sensor concepts and architectures, including: strawman sensor concept design; architecture trade studies; feasibility analysis; modeling and simulation; optical design
• Experience and/or ability in development of new technologies, such as new concept formulation & analysis, first-of-kind laboratory demonstration, prototype development, testing and calibration, and field demonstration.
• Software Skills: Experience in MATLAB/Simulink, LABVIEW (FPGA/RT), Linux OS, C/C++, ZEMAX
Knowledge and/or experience in related component-level technologies, including:
• Photo-detector physics, technologies, engineering, design, and applications.
• Detector focal-plane arrays and readout integrated circuit design, engineering and use.
• Semiconductor solid state physics related to detectors, optical fibers and waveguides, semiconductor optical amplifiers, and photonic systems.
• Camera sensors, controls, logic, and software for rapid development of complex imaging systems and experiments
• Real-time processing systems, FPGAs, micro-controllers, measurement and acquisition hardware
• Photonic-Integrated Circuit (PIC) physics, design, technologies and applications.
• RF electronics, analog electronics, digital electronics
• Control systems, including theory, design, and operation
• Data processing, including processing hardware and software, algorithm development, Monte Carlo simulations, analog signal processing , digital signal processing, image processing, 3D image rendering, data fusion
• Machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence, and other advanced processing techniques.
• Target acquisition and tracking, and automatic target recognition (ATR) algorithms
Knowledge and/or experience of laser remote sensing applications and techniques, such as atmospheric sciences, spectroscopy, missile defense, directed energy, orbital mechanics, radiation physics, survivability of subsystems and parts, rocket plume physics.
Knowledge and/or Experience in field testing of new technologies, including experiment test plan development, field campaign logistics, field experiment supervision, field experiment execution, flight testing
TS/SCI Security Clearance
• The candidate must have experience and understanding of design, development, and testing/fielding of electro-optical systems specific to passive and/or active remote sensing applications (i.e., laser radar, passive sensors, scanning techniques, acquisition and tracking, data processing, performance simulation).
• The candidate must have experience and ability to perform developmental (assembly, testing, data analysis, trouble-shooting, calibration) and theoretical (e.g., modeling, simulation, analysis, system level designs and trades) efforts specific to active and passive electro-optical remote sensing systems and associated subsystems.
• Prior experience overseeing the development of active/passive subsystems such as: lasers, active and/or passive receivers, scanners/FSMs/gimbals, wide-bandwidth novel telescopes and associated optics, as well as associated mechanical, electrical, and software components.
• Prior experience overseeing or directing active and/or passive system development, tests, planning, requirements, monitoring, data collection and analysis, report writing, and correlation with analysis
• The candidate must have strong technical writing, presentation and overall communication skills for reports, proposals, presentations, and interactions with executive leadership, external customers, team members, and suppliers. The selected candidate must be able to clearly communicate complex ideas and explain relevant technologies and concepts to an audience of both experts and non-experts.
• U.S. Citizen with willingness and ability to obtain Security Clearance.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.