Lockheed Martin Senior Staff Focal Plane Engineer in Sunnyvale, California
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space!
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing people are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture encourages employees to dream big, perform with excellence and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage to dream big, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
The Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our members integrate authorities across the nation, within Lockheed Martin, our industry partners and leading research universities, into one fast-acting, collaborative group.
As an OPCoE Senior Staff - Focal Plane Engineer, your responsibilities will include:
• Execute broad guidance from senior engineering and program leadership
• Lead the design team
• Guide the work of junior and emerging engineers
• Manage prospective and selected suppliers
• Deliver robust documents and briefings
• Support customer reviews
• Ability to perform as a Certified Principal Engineer for: (a) working with Systems Engineering and subcontractors to develop specifications; (b) assuring electronic circuitry designs and optical components with specific characteristics fit within specified mechanical & power limits and perform according to specifications, (c) be a part of a team developing designs, analyzes, and tests for optical and electro-optical systems and components
**This position is contingent upon Program award, expected Spring 2021**
**This position may require domestic travel as necessary to fulfill job responsibilities
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
• Advanced background in electro-optic sensors and/or electronics
• Expertise with imaging focal planes and relevant performance parameters
• Practical and theoretical knowledge of laboratory hardware for electro-optical sensor and component characterization
• Expertise with integration, test and verification of electronics and sensor systems
• Expertise with electronics processor requirements and usage
• Expertise deriving requirements and writing specifications based on customer requirements
• Expertise in the development of verification plans and approaches to support development
• Ability to obtain and maintain a US government security clearance; US citizenship is required
• Knowledge of a wide range of detector technologies for use in the full optical spectrum from ultraviolet (UV) through long-wave infrared (LWIR) wavelengths
• Experience with both direct-detection and coherent-detection techniques
• Ability to develop novel sensor concepts and architectures including: strawman sensor concept design; architecture trade studies; feasibility analysis; modeling and simulation; optical design
• Expertise in optical theory and design, including radiometry, geometrical optics, physical optics, Fourier optics, adaptive optics, and/or fiber optics
Knowledge and/or experience in related technologies, including:
• Real-time processing systems, FPGAs, micro-controllers, measurement and acquisition hardware
• Photonic-Integrated Circuit (PIC) physics, design, technologies and applications
• RF electronics, analog electronics, digital electronics
• Control systems, including theory, design, and operation
• Signal and data processing, including processing hardware and software/algorithms
• Active TS/SCI
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.