Kiewit Corporation Field/Office Engineer Intern - TIC Denver - Summer 2019 in Various Cities/Nationwide, Colorado
Field/Office Engineer Intern - TIC Denver - Summer 2019
Date: Jan 13, 2019
Location: Various Cities/Nationwide, CO, US
Requisition ID: 78889
An Intern position with Kiewit provides a hands-on learning experience directly related to the skills needed in a full-time construction career. You will have the opportunity to develop, participate and learn key roles and functions within construction management. Some responsibilities may include, but are not limited to; reviewing shop drawings, submittals, schedules, take offs, pay requests, contract changes and project documentation.
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
TIC is a Kiewit Subsidiary that provides direct-hire construction services for industrial projects. TIC Denver has projects in Power, Industrial Manufacturing, Oil Gas Chemical, and Mining across the United States. Its projects range from small capital work up to major EPC projects. We are looking for people committed to the construction industry and not design as this is an “open-shop” environment.
We have projects across the United States and Canada, in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to travel and relocate as business requires.
• Work with a vibrant and diverse team to build, estimate, and schedule mechanical, civil, electrical and heavy industrial construction.
• Support both administrative and construction activities as assigned by supervisor; review proposals, specifications and drawings, perform material takeoffs, prepare cost estimates and attend pre-bid investigation meetings.
• Learn to supervise subcontractors and communicate with vendors.
• Prepare work plans, assure quality control, manage and track costs and materials, schedule equipment, administer safety programs and maintain exceptional owner relations.
• Maintaining records as required regarding job progress, costs, material usage, etc.
• Planning and scheduling of job and/or job segments
• Investigating problems and/or reported incidents; identifying and recommending solutions/alternatives as appropriate
• Reviewing plans and specifications to determine material requirements (quantities and qualities), pricing of materials, etc.
• Working with suppliers as required facilitating the handling and expediting delivery of materials
• Pursuing an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management or related degree
• Must be willing to work in an open-shop environment
• Committed to the construction industry and not the design industry
• Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications
• Working knowledge of computers and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Strong work ethic – highly motivated and willing to do what it takes to get the job done right
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
• Must have a valid Driver’s License
• Ability to work in the United States without sponsorship, both now and in the future
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development
• Internships are a great opportunity to explore many different specialty construction and engineering areas within Kiewit and get important hands-on experience
• Our interns have meaningful relations to the industry's top talent for guidance, and have significant responsibilities in real-world areas of the Kiewit organization
• Our long-standing internship program has launched many Kiewit careers, including our Chairman and CEO’s
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Job Segment: Construction, Intern, Electrical, Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Engineering, Entry Level