Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. CAD Designer II, III or IV (IRC26632) in Westminster, Colorado
Responsible for providing engineering design assistance to Engineers including specifying the layout, materials and applicable codes, specifications, design standards and procedures needed for the development of new or modified transmission and generation facilities utilizing computer-aided design (CAD) software to complete related technical design work. Perform related basic engineering design calculations. Checks, verifies, and provides quality control for own designs as well as the designs of other designers and engineering staff, as required.
Note: Please note that there is only one position vacancy. Applicants will be considered for a II, III or IV level based on overall job qualifications.
Salary Grades: Level II - NB17; III - NB18; IV - NB 20
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Responsibilities listed below are for a CAD Designer IV. Responsibilities for a II and III level Designer are similar but may vary in overall responsibilities, accountabilities and scope.)
- Responsible for identifying and following applicable engineering design codes, specifications and standards for the development of new or modified transmission lines, substations, telecommunications or generation facilities.
- Perform related basic engineering design calculations.
- Check, verify, and provide quality control for own designs as well as the designs of other designers and engineering staff, as required.
- Provide support to the functional area manager in coordinating, monitoring and managing scheduling and resource allocation for functional area's design drafting work.
- Adapt, customize and modify existing designs to meet new design criteria or needs.
- Modify or expand designs of existing facilities and new installations.
- Prepare cost estimates for budget purposes for assigned projects and assist in the preparation and maintenance of design and construction schedules.
- Work with Engineering, operations, and maintenance personnel to assess, consolidate, organize, and correct deficiencies in existing facility design drawings, data, and information.
- Provide end users of design documents with accurate and accessible design information in support of facility operation and maintenance.
- Develop bill of materials and order material for assigned projects including work on new or existing facilities.
- Interface between Central Drafting, Drawing Control and technical areas to coordinate project activities, and to provide training and direction on design standards.
- Responsible for maintaining functional area design standards.
- Develop procedures and processes to improve efficiency and quality of CAD designs for assigned projects and facilities.
- Develop and maintain schedule tracking spreadsheet or other appropriate tools in order to coordinate drafting work in functional area.
- Responsible for performing board drafting on assigned projects.
- Conduct CAD design activities on special projects, as designed.
- Prepare reports on design projects as required.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Commitment to company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, databases, and other related applications.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Associate's Degree in Drafting, Engineering Technology including, Electrical, Electronic, Civil, Mechanical or other related engineering technology area or technical discipline or equivalent combination of related education and/or experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices.
- General working knowledge of high voltage power transmission lines and substations, power generation facilities and/or telecommunications and microwave facilities.
- Ability to read and understand related schematic diagrams and develop designs for electric utility transmission, generation or telecommunications facilities.
- Knowledge of design standards, codes, rules and regulations affecting electric utility or related industry facilities.
- Experience with CAD systems and computer equipment and software and ability to develop related design tools. AutoCad experience desired.
- Ability to work closely with Electrical/Civil/Telecommunications Engineers, Drafters, Technicians, Contractors, Member System Personnel, and others.
- Ability to perform basic related engineering calculations.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to coordinate work with others.
Experience: (Experience requirements listed below are for a CAD Designer IV. Applicants with less experience will be considered for a II or III level based on overall job qualifications.)
- Six (6) years of progressive experience in electrical/electronic/civil/mechanical engineering design work in an industrial/commercial environment, including CAD experience. Experience with electric utility transmission and generation facilities preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel as required. (Must possess a valid driver's license.)
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to sit for long periods of time and occasionally stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach above and below shoulder level and push/pull objects of varying weights, and lift up to twenty-five pounds. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to a moderate level of noise. All of the duties are performed indoors and at a desk, operating office equipment.
This job description is not all inclusive but rather serves as a general guideline of the current needs of the position and can be modified at the discretion of management to meet current business needs. Experience and education requirements are the primary basis for awarding this position, however substitutions that are essentially equivalent may be made as they relate to the essential functions, duties, and responsibilities of this position.
Job Title: CAD Designer II, III or IV (IRC26632)
Location: Westminster, CO, US
Base Location: HQ - Westminster, CO
Amount of Travel: Up to 10%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran